Sunday, September 5, 2010

Day One - My Favorite Song

This may be one of the hardest ones for me to answer. Music is a HUGE part of my life. I have some music in my head almost all the time. I have different songs come to mind from time to time depending upon my situation. Music ministers to me in ways that I cannot explain. So, where would I begin to even break down my favorite song? Do I even have a favorite song of all time? Should I pick my favorite hymn, or my favorite CCM song, or my favorite musical? So since I couldn’t pick just one, I will have to give a montage of sorts to show the diversity of music that makes up my life.


My favorite hymn is a tie (between 3 different songs). Before Terry’s cancer it was “Great is Thy Faithfulness”. After Terry was diagnosed with cancer “It Is Well With My Soul” became very special to me and continues to be so. The third I don’t even know if you can call a hymn, but it has always meant a lot to me as it is the cry of my heart in many ways. “Lord, I Am Fondly, Earnestly Longing”:

I grew up on musicals, so I love the songs to many. Terry and I have an appreciation for many things Jewish, including the music. I don’t know if you could say it was Jewish, but we love “Fiddler on the Roof”. I love the music from “Phantom of the Opera” and have since I was a teenager who desperately longed to sing like Sarah Brightman. I owned the complete soundtrack to the original Broadway production and would spend hours in my room singing the songs. I love the music from the “Prince of Egypt”! The songs are extraordinary, and I could listen to it at least once a week.


When it comes to my usual listening pleasure, contemporary Christian music, I would be hard pressed to pick just one song, or even just one artist. I LOVE Keith Green’s music and his heart that comes through every song. My favorite Keith song is “Make My Life a Prayer To You.”

I have been blessed by many a Casting Crowns song, the worship of Chris Tomlin, and the stories of Nichole Nordeman. I hear and echo the heart of Jeremy Camp. But my favorite Christian artist is Steven Curtis Chapman. I don’t think I could pick one of SCC’s songs that I like over another. There have been so many that have helped me through some of the hardest times of my life, as well as some I just love to sing. Time (and space) would fail me to tell of every song, but here are just a few highlights.

My fave SCC song to sing and dance to: “The Great Adventure”. It might be an oldie, but it is definitely a GOODIE!!! (I was a little discouraged because apparently I can't embed ANY SCC songs!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrrjbTc0urk&feature=fvst

I love the song “Magnificent Obsession” from Declaration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cel_O-qy0i0

One of my favorites of all time, and that I will begin singing at any given time is “Much of You” from All Things New. (Yay!  I found one!!!)


From This Moment I am in love with “My Surrender”:



On top of all of this, I have songs that have been important to me in this season of my life. The one that has been the theme song for me during this difficult and trying, uncertain and changing year has been “Whatever You’re Doing” by Sanctus Real.


So you have my life summed up in song. And that is only scratching the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment